Tuesday, July 23, 2013

NPC SOUTHERN STATES 2013 - FITNESS & PHYSIQUE COMPETITION - ALL ACCESS BEHIND THE SCENES





Ok got up at like 5 am...couldn't sleep at all...especially on those plastic sheets......BUT, I'm at the prejudging now just waiting to get my number and see what kind of order this thing is going to be in....

It's kinda funny to me seeing all of these team jackets since I train and represent myself. Team TMT!!

I do want to say thank you to Dexter Martin, Chris Garvey, Craig Gorham and Nicole Duncan for all giving me tips on posing and show prep. I always thought if I just got in the best condition out of anyone than the judges just didnt have a choice but to give me the win. Boy was I wrong! Posing and stage presence can make or break you in this sport.

12 and still backstage....bored now...
Got a quick intense shoulder workout. Guess I was goin in pretty hard because a film crew started following me around the pump room! Lol - can't wait to find out what publication that was for...got a good sweat going. It is HOT down here in FL!

(*I later found out this was the photographer for the event and was shooting video for Muscular Development. I also spoke with the guy and found out it was Pat Lee. I ended up getting a photo shoot with him the next day after the contest...Look for this in a future blog.)

Looks like the Fitness competition is coming up first! Can't wait! These Florida boys aren't playing around with this event. Quite a few are here just for this part.

The first part of the 3 FITNESS Rounds consisted of poses. I was ready to roll!

First up was the quarter turns for the fitness competitors....




They let us FLEX a little bit with our most muscular! 

I think prejudging went well...

During call outs they didn't move me from the center...

Later physique competitors did the exact same turns and since I entered both, I just switched shorts and did the same thing! Lol - good ...some more stage time and I think I caught the attention of the judges. I really went a little harder on my flexes and wasn't so concerned about my smile.






Next up was the STRENGTH round which consisted of MAX Pushups and Pullups in 1 minute....
I was pacing like a caged animal while on deck waiting my turn! This was the event I was waiting for....time to show these pretty boys how its done! :)




I gave it all I had....and being so dehydrated and tired from all the pumping up backstage, I think 70 something was pretty good. I forget what I actually got but I went to total failure.

I couldn't find any pictures for the pullups but I got 18 complete real pull-ups. All the way down full extension and all the way up chin over the bar, no kipping. I was super strict on mine just to prove a point.

The last part of the fitness competition was the obstacle course! I was a little nervous since some of the guys back stage told me how the trained on an identical version of the layout which was still a mystery to me. 

 I put it ALL on the line there! 20 box jumps , 20 full sit-ups , 30 weighted jump rope ( I lost some time trying to show off and do double unders....that was dumb lol) through the tires, then shuttle run picking up 4 spaces out blocks...

....surprisingly my legs were what gave out...I could barely run those last 2 laps but the guy I was racing was neck and neck and the announcer was cheering me on by name so I gave it all.... 


Still sitting by the fan while I'm typing this trying to keep from falling out...
Working out while dehydrated and tired is kinda dangerous...


There were quite a few times where if you weren't paying attention and checking back in the front, you could have easily missed your time...

One time in particular I was just listening to my current favorite song on repeat when I noticed all the guys In the room seemed to be much bigger than me....I started having to pump up some more lol - then I noticed it was only the tall class still back there ! I ran to the side where I caught the line just as they were about to walk out! After being there for 12 hours you can lose track of time!! 

The venue was pretty big with lots of dark hallways and back rooms which actually gave it this kind of cool underground atmosphere....until you get under those bright lights and then it was show time! I'm glad this wasnt my first show or I would have been extremely nervous...the fact that I didn't know anybody there, I had a solid routine planned, and I knew my conditioning was right up there with the best of them helped me relax and have a little fun up there. I even heard a few girls calling out my number, NUMBER 7!!! :) I think the strength round helped me put when it came time to come beck out for the physique poses.

Next up was pure Physique. There were 32 competitors just in my height class, Class B! This was a really big show. I hit some non-traditional physique poses going by what Chris suggested to really show my strength off a little bit to seperate myself from the "pretty boys!" lol.....I'm curious if I was marked down for some of that.







In case you were curious, and for my own reference as well, here are the over winners for Physique. This includes classes A,B,C and D





So now I know what to expect at a big show and I've got all my nervousness out of my system. I just need to pick my next show and get ready to make some improvements! Im officially hooked!




No comments:

Post a Comment