Monday, November 25, 2013

REVIEW - SPIN CLASS ?!?!

Ok, today I got talked into taking my first spin class EVER! 

ME??? Doing SPIN???


It's funny because I once TAUGHT one at Kennesaw State University when my boss really needed a sub and offered $35, but I've never attended one.
I completely winged it BTW! Hahaha
I had them pretending to go up hills and stuff and really called out each person and pushed them pretty hard. I think they hated me, but as a trainer, that makes me smile and sleep good at night :D

Today was completely different. I got a taste of a real stationary bike routine which does take some thought and creativity. I was at L.A. Fitness finishing up my second workout of the day, Chest and Biceps after doing 30 min of cardio in the morning. I ran into an old friend of mine, ex actually haahahah (We're still good friends) and she got me at the perfect time. I needed to do some more cardio and I figured I could just go in for half the class and then dip out early. 

She convinced me it was sooo fun and had great music. I was thinking there were some hot girls in there and this would force me to push a little and burn some fat! LOL

THE GOOD / THE BAD


First 

THE BAD


  • Right off the bat, the seat was more uncomfortable than I imagined! How could I possibly last an hour of that?! Damn!
  • Supporting my bodyweight having to lean in the forward position was killing my arms more than anything else.
  • All I could think about was how I was lifting legs tomorrow and I didn't want to wear myself out.

THEN I DECIDED TO MAN UP!!!! 



THE GOOD

  • The class atmosphere really made for a fun time. I lucked out and got the back row but I'm sure being front and center makes for a harder workout as all eyes are on you! 
  • The music was good! Upbeat and motivating. Positive vibe. Not as hard core as what I listen to on my headphones, but this was an hour class, not HIIT where I need to crank it!!!
  • Beautiful women seem to love spin, so that helps! (Same reason I tried Yoga ;)
  • The instructor was fun and really pushed herself hard which motivates everyone else as well. She also did a good job of incorporating a few muscle groups other than just legs by doing pushups onto the handlebars (in beat with the music) and arm raises (which burned me out completely to be honest).
  • I ended up finishing the entire hour simply because I didn't want to be a quitter!


Overall it was a good change of pace for steady state cardio and a fun thing to do with some of my female friends but I think I'll be sticking with training myself for the most part.
I do like the class setting but I like a harder workout and I know there are more effective uses of my time when I goal is burning fat while preserving muscle.

Next up....Orange Theory....and then next week Crossfit! ;) I know I know....lol

Thomas Murphy, CSCS, Pn1

GET YOUR CUSTOMIZED WORKOUT AND NUTRITION PLAN BY CLICKING BELOW.
I WRITE NEW PROGRAMS UP EVERY WEEKEND.

 photo cscs_logoblack_zpsd841cb24.jpg photo PN-certified-coach-logo_zps4e636baf.png

CUSTOMIZED PROGRAMS

I AM ALSO AVAILABLE FOR COMPETITION COACHING ON A MONTHLY BASIS.
For more information email me at ThomasMurphy27@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment